Thursday, February 01, 2007

Yours Sincerely

Starting and Ending emails has always been a major issue with myself.

Does 'Yours Sincerely' sound a bit too formal? Shall I use 'Regards' or 'Best Regards'? Maybe 'Best Regards' will give an impression that I'm a bit too excited or something, I'll use 'Regards' instead. What about 'Yours Faithfully'? which will I use, when? What about the name prefix... hmmmmm... "Dear X" sounds so intimate, I barely know her/him, lets use "Hi X" instead, but this sounds too casual too, ok, "Hello X" seems fair enough. What about the prefix? is she a Ms or Mrs? and will he be pissed off if I used his bare name without the Mr/Prof/Highness? I need an ice breaker too, but the only one I can think of is "Hope all is well, ...".

I discovered this article that provides tips that will easily put an end to those confusing 'thought provoking' 'mind squashing' emotions you experience when you write a new email, specially when you're writing to some corporate client trying to look professional enough.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh crap! in arabic things are much easier, u would start with: hello abu gassem (that works almost everytime) or mar7aba madam (even if she is 10 years old!)

i usualy go with: hello,
(so if u forgot the name, no need to mention!)
...
regards (w bezyadeh)
Ayyash

Anonymous said...

Dear Mr Basil Abbas,
With reference to your post of 1st of January 2007, I would like to take the chance and thank you for the article link, it was very helpful and direct to the point.
If you require any further comments, feel free to contact me.
Best Regards,
Rami M.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the casual style with friends, such as (Salaam 3ibs). For formal communication; there are two alternatives:
1. If you are replying to someone, use his style (If he addressed you as Dear Mr. Basil...then reply with Dear Mr. HIS NAME)
2. If you are initiating the communication, then try to show respect to the degree you feel appropriate for the person you are addressing (Some people don't even deserve the salutation...just go to the subject directly)

For the ending; I believe "regards" does the job for everyone....and keep it in your signature to avoid typing it everytime :)

Quetion basil, when was your last time you sent a formal email?

Anonymous said...

last week.